There are many types of cracked teeth, all of which exhibit the same symptoms. These symptoms include:
- Pain while chewing and biting
- Sensitivity to temperatures
- Intermittent pain
- Release of biting pressure
Cracked teeth can be difficult to identify, as pain and discomfort may come and go and can be hard to pinpoint. When you visit Hacienda Heights Family Dentistry, our experienced dentist will examine your teeth and take any needed X-rays so that we can determine if you have a cracked tooth and which type of crack is present.
The treatment you receive will depend on the type of crack that you have. The most common cracks and their treatments are:
- Craze lines — small cracks in the outer enamel. This crack does not require treatment unless you would like to improve the appearance of the tooth with cosmetic dentistry.
- Fractured cusps — cracks on the raised points of your teeth, causing them to become weak and break off. Dental crowns are the most common treatment for fractured cusps.
- Cracked teeth — cracks that extend from the chewing surface towards the root. Damage to the dental pulp is common, so root canal therapy is usually the recommended treatment.
- Split teeth — cracks that cause the tooth to be broken into distinct segments. If this tooth can be saved, it will need a root canal treatment.
- Vertical root fractures — cracks that begin at the root and extend to the chewing surface. This type of crack is so severe that the tooth will need to be removed from your mouth and replaced.
For more information about cracked teeth treatment in Hacienda Heights, California, and to schedule your consultation with Dr. Shaileshkumar Bhatt, call us today at 626-961-1574.